Saturday, May 26, 2018

Just me and my guitar

When PMD of EPMD said his microphone was his only friend in one of my favourite 90's hip-hop songs - 'Ruff, Rugged n Raw' if you're wondering - I used to laugh and think it was a bit of a throw-away line.

But now, over 10 years later, I finally understand.

I feel the same way about my guitar.

In particular, my acoustic Yamaha acoustic guitar. My first guitar, on which I've written the majority of my songs over the years.

I haven't played my guitar for over a year, and haven't seen it for almost the same amount of time.

I had a bit of a falling out of love with music in 2012 (I  know I still haven't expanded on that yet, but I will), but my guitar was still there for me, and we continued to speak and listen to each other.

There's a bunch of unfinished songs sitting on my computer that I hope (and plan) to finish as soon as I move house, when we will finally be reunited with each other.

Life is probably the most difficult thing I've ever had a go at. Every day is a battle, with either myself or my surroundings and people I interact with, and not having that one friend to talk to has recently become a big issue for me.

It never judges me, it just listens. It supports my ideas (no matter how bad or crazy!) and it comforts me when those around me can't or won't or fail to.

This post is rather stupid I realise, but a lot has happened to me/my life in the last few years, and it's time I started letting out all that built up angst, all the fears, all the joy, all the loss and all the silliness again.

I just hope we see each other soon, although at the moment it feels like we'll never see each other again.


No comments: