Saturday, April 9, 2016

Weezer - the White Album (review)


I love Weezer.

They have to be one of the bands I've had on constant rotation over the last 18 years or so, and I rarely get tired of hearing anything by them.

Apart from 'Death To False Metal' (whatever that album was meant to be I have no idea).

A few weeks ago my friend and fellow Mashed Potato Hed Mat (also a big Weezer fan) brought two new singles to my attention, 'King of the World' and 'California Kids' - and this was great news to me as it was beginning to feel like it had been a while since there was any new Weezer in my life...

I listened to the songs, and... well, in all honesty, I wasn't very impressed by what I was hearing and having not known a new album was on it's way so imminently, started to dread what it might be like.

Then last week it appeared on Spotify - the White Album.

I was worried and happy all at once and as soon as I spotted it (I can't think of a decent Spotify pun right now, sorry!) I gave it a listen through. I wasn't impressed. In fact, my exact words to Mat were; "Flicked through, it's boring as fuck."

I was sad.

But me being me, the eternal hoper, gave it another listen... this time with louder volume whilst I was working on some of my monster illustrations. The album finished (it is a super short album, with most tracks barely hitting or overhanging the 3 minute mark) and even though it hadn't had my full attention I felt like I'd just listened to a really nice album.

Every single Weezer album has it's own "thing" that I can't quite put my finger on, but I guess I'll just call it "Weezerness". In fact, Weezer could quite easily be a singles band, but there's something about listening to an entire album of theirs that leaves me satisfied, despite the occassional 'WTF is this?!' moment that has happened on probably most of their albums over the last few years, at least the albums since the Green Album. I listened again, and louder.

It's a grower. I'm not sure what the band were aiming to do calling it the White Album, because by the Beatles standards, it's definitely not their best album, and won't be their most memorable, BUT it is actually a fine piece of work that is really consistent in Weezerness. But old skool Weezerness, which has been lacking for a while. It has it's Pinkerton moments - albeit a bit subdued, with tracks like the King of the World single and Wind in our Sails - and it also has some Blue/Green/Make Believe moments. In fact, the thing the White Album is missing is the cheesey moments we've become used to over the last decade, there's no 'Pork And Beans', there's no '(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To', and there's definitely no 'Buddy Holly'. But that's actually a nice breather for a change, and it actually lends to show just how great a song writer lead singer Rivers Cuomo is - as if I needed to even say that.

The White Album is solid, and takes us back (in a weird way) to a more mature sounding Weezer. That's why I feel that it's got some Pinkerton about it.

Each track has the typical Rivers Cuomo trademark sound, which to me is the minor chord twists he puts in to every happy sounding song which to me is exactly how this band have manged to stay unique and memorable without becoming an embarrasing old man boy band. The nerdcore element is still in there, you just have to listen for it, perhaps with a bit more effort nowadays, but as I said, Weezer might just have grown up now. Which isn't a bad thing at all, as I'd love to be able to still be listening to this band when I'm 60 (if my ears still work!) without thinking they got too poppy or ran out of good songs.

This album is still growing on me, and it's so short I have to keep playing it, but that doesn't stop the chorus lines getting stuck in my humming glands, and although initially I'd have given it a terrible 3 out of 7, at least 5 plays later I'm giving it a 5.5 and I expect it to hit a 6 within the next few days... it won't hit a 7, but hopefully that means Weezer will keep trying for many years to come.

Summary:

Stinks of Pinkerton, feels a bit like Blue Album with sprinklings of the others, but most importantly, it still sounds like Weezer, and IS Weezer.

No comments: